Motor not functioning properly?

ndmccutcheon

Motor not functioning properly?

Postby ndmccutcheon Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 am

Hi all, I've got a converted Bird ES4 (external battery temporarily removed, and dashboard swapped only, still Bird controller) that I'm having issues with. I've tried every possible combination of firmware, and I've even changed the serial number to a T instead of an E to get mode switching and light control back. However, my issue persists through serial numbers and firmware upgrades/downgrades.

My issue is that the motor just doesn't work. When I try to accelerate or brake (I do spin the motor up to make it think it's moving), the motor makes its usual high pitched whining noise but nothing happens. The wheel just continues to coast as if the scooter was off. The scooter acts perfectly normal otherwise, everything functions as it should, it's just that the motor won't do anything. I'm sure this motor isn't damaged, as when I hook the control board and dashboard assembly from a friend's ES1 up to the motor, it works just fine.

Is this because of the Bird controller, that I simply need to replace, or can something be done in software to fix this? Also, if this would be better suited for a different forum (as I know this forum is mostly for firmware stuff), please let me know. Thanks!

Also, I just wanted to thank all you guys for the awesome resources you've listed here. That serial number changing firmware is amazing!
ndmccutcheon

Re: Motor not functioning properly?

Postby ndmccutcheon Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:09 am

Well, I figured it out. Some of the MOSFET traces on the controller had burnt away, making it so the motor couldn’t be controlled properly. I have no idea when this could have happened though. I’ll probably leave this post up just in case someone else has this issue and googles it.
Scooturd

Re: Motor not functioning properly?

Postby Scooturd Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:52 pm

I've had the same problem. Happens when you are going fast (20mph+) and then apply the hand break. You broke the control board. Replace the shaft and everything should work fine.

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”