error 42 external battery

john lee

error 42 external battery

Postby john lee Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am

hello everyone. my snsc1.0 scooter works perfectly without the external battery. now here's the problem
1. the external battery does not charge outside the scooter
2. when I install it on the scooter it gives me error 42. I can ride the scooter but because of error 42 it beeps and blinks and most important it does not accept a charge. also in Ninebot flasher it only shows the internal battery.
3.with the scooter disassembled I went on to connect the external battery as an internal one (I used wires to connect it to Rx, Tx, C- and C+ on the connector that goes to the internal battery and also the 2 main power wires, always making sure not to have a short!) and it works perfectly, it powers the motor, no error, I can update it in Ninebot flasher and most important it charges. next step , (with the external battery still connected as an internal one), I took the internal battery and connected it, again with extra wires and great care, to the external port on the controller. and again the scooter shows error 42 and starts blinking and beeping and not charging. so the logic is that there is no problem with the external battery or the connections as other users have mentioned (I made sure everything is tight). I would say the problem is with the controller or maybe with the fact that I have flashed the external battery while connected as an internal one?(link to a video of someone doing just thathttps://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo. Are there differences between the firmwares for the external an internal batteries?
with a multimeter I measured the output on the data connectors on the control board, that's between Rx and C- and also Tx and C- on the connector for the external battery and the same for the one for the internal battery and there appears to be a small difference in voltage of about 0.2V. I do not have the tools to read the actual data, but there is obviously a difference
As far as I can tell, the main reason for the data transfer between batteries and controller is to tell the BMS to accept charging . I can ride the scooter with error 42 (I could disable the beeper and disconnect rear lights and no more annoying beeps and flashes) but then I could not charge the external battery unless I take it apart again.
I tried one more thing, and i flashed a custom firmware where I enabled the option called "Bypass Ninebot BMS requirement" and it no longer displays error 42 but I still can not charge the external battery since it's BMS does not receive the required data.
sorry for the long post! any ideas are welcome. thanks and I will also put this on the scootertalk.org forum maybe someone there has an idea
john lee

Re: error 42 external battery

Postby john lee Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 pm

a little update. I noticed in Ninebot flasher that both my batteries had the same BMS serial number. so I decided to write a new serial number on the external battery. Ninebot flasher displayed the new SN but when I connected both batteries on the scooter they were reading no serial number at all in Ninebot flasher and BMS Ver: 0.0.0 so now both batteries are f****d
I tried to flash BMS with version 1.3.6 but it just says: "Loaded BMS1.3.6 check file ok Lock ok" and no flashing happens.
I have no idea how to restore the BMS to a functioning condition and maybe this scooter is destined for the recycling facility. anybody?
CDogg

Re: error 42 external battery

Postby CDogg Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi John,

did you fix your issue yet? I wanted to see if you found a resolution to this as I have a speed control with the same issue. I believe its the ESC and there's probably a bad fuse or something.. Before you scrap your scooter and everything, I know you can buy a replacement bms on AliExpress for your battery. As for the error 42, I'm replacing the ESC for now until I find a permanent fix at the pcb and will use this ESC for an ES2 model scooter in the meantime.

Lemme know what your resolution was.

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”