Pro brake lever settings

Palikucha

Pro brake lever settings

Postby Palikucha Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:32 am

Hi, can any of the devs tell me what is the highest (battery and board) safe setting for the brake lever parameters? I want it to be as strong as possible at max position for emergency stopping (pedestrian zombies). I'd rather crash myself than hit a pedestrian if necessary.

I've set the brake lever virtual limit to 60 in order for the front e-brake to start before the rear disk brake. (Basically, I've shifted the braking bias to front as you would on a car or motorcycle).

I've left the minimum value stock to avoid damage to the folding mechanism via accidental hard braking and increased the max phase current to 32.000mA (stock was 30.000mA).
Will update after testing.
vobele

Re: Pro brake lever settings

Postby vobele Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am

Currently I've set Brake Lever to "Lever virtual limit = 130, Minimum phase current = 6000, Maximum phase current = 60000, and KERS Minimum speed = 40 (M365 Pro)

I'm not quite sure about the Lever virtual limit setting. From what I've read, a lower value means latest or least sensitive kick in of KERS braking. That's why I've set it to its max value. May be I'm wrong and I'm curious about your testing.. ;)

To be on the safe side in terms of Kers recuperation with fully charged battery, I've modified the genuine Xiaomi Charger to push only up to 41.1V into the Scooters battery. Now it stops charging at 97%. (However: the chargers output voltage setting was at 41.7V before, which should be reasonably safe as well. So no need to do this mod when using the Xiaomi charger. Only for a possibly longer battery life / more cycle charges)

Cheers
Palikucha

Postby Palikucha Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

You've actually made it weaker by turning it to 130 :D
vobele

Postby vobele Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Really? :o Ok strange, I've tried your setting (60) but didn't notice a clear difference in kicking in the brake earlier. Instead it seemed to have kinda delay into it. After releasing the lever, you had to wait for a second or so to get KERS released. I still may be wrong. Could it be that the lever itself is not able to trigger earlier because of its electrical switch? How does your brake react on the different settings for Lever virtual limit?
vobele

Postby vobele Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Just tested again: Pro brake lever settings at 60, then at 130, and at 60 again..

You're right about the higher value which makes braking a bit weaker, but honestly that's all I could realize. The position where Kers kicks in, remained the same. It is a tiny bit before the disk brakes are joining in.

For the time being I changed it back to the default value which was 115.

To separate the Kers/Motor brake from the disk brake, I you may have to install a second brake lever and use the electrical part from one brake whereas the second brake is used as mecanical brake (disk brake).
Lothean
Site Admin

Postby Lothean Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am

Just tested again: Pro brake lever settings at 60, then at 130, and at 60 again..

You're right about the higher value which makes braking a bit weaker, but honestly that's all I could realize. The position where Kers kicks in, remained the same. It is a tiny bit before the disk brakes are joining in.

To separate the Kers/Motor brake from the disk brake, I you may have to install a second brake lever and use the electrical part from one brake whereas the second brake is used as mecanical brake (disk brake).
You can in fact install an ebrake lever (another Xiaomi or Ninebot one would do). I'd suggest leaving both of them connected if possible, dunno if that's possible. If it isn't, make sure not to brake with the disconnected mechanical lever if you're in cruise control mode.
vobele

Postby vobele Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am

You can in fact install an ebrake lever (another Xiaomi or Ninebot one would do). I'd suggest leaving both of them connected if possible, dunno if that's possible. If it isn't, make sure not to brake with the disconnected mechanical lever if you're in cruise control mode.
Yes - that's my plan: Mounting a second brake lever on the right hand side. And shifting the red, physical brake cable to that one. Should be like a piece of cake - only a small modification (removing some material of the lever around its notch). Well, the advanced version would be to connect the electrical cables from both levers in parallel (or should it be in series?) to have motor braking on both. But I might be too lazy for this, let's see. The second lever is ordered and on its way. One thing I've noted by doing a short test ride with a disconnected physical brake cable: the lever has an internal spring and braking without the physical brake connected is no issue at all. However, you have to get used to the fact that without the additional back pressure from the disk brake, you are faster achieving full brake position on this lever. May be must adjust the lever settings in CFW.
Palikucha

Postby Palikucha Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 am

Told ya! :P
From what i've gathered, the position in which the KERS is activated depends on how they fitted the sensor in the brake lever. Some people have them start with barely touching the lever, others only at 50% of it's total travel length. Almost as if they do that part at the factory by hand.
So, that leaves me with hope I could fine tune the moment the sensor is activated by dissasembling the lever mechanism. :)
Palikucha

Postby Palikucha Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 am

Currently I've set Brake Lever to "Lever virtual limit = 130, Minimum phase current = 6000, Maximum phase current = 60000, and KERS Minimum speed = 40 (M365 Pro)
I've copyed your minimum and maximum values and they are better than mine. They work best with LVL set @ 80 (at least for my weight and brake lever sensor)
vobele

Postby vobele Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:41 am

From what i've gathered, the position in which the KERS is activated depends on how they fitted the sensor in the brake lever. Some people have them start with barely touching the lever, others only at 50% of it's total travel length. Almost as if they do that part at the factory by hand.
So, that leaves me with hope I could fine tune the moment the sensor is activated by dissasembling the lever mechanism. :)
Exactly my conclusions/thoughts. Either I'll separate KERS braking and Disk braking by two individual brake levers. Or I'll have a closer look at the lever sensor first. However I'm a bit confused about reading that KERS may still be an issue and harm electrical components (mosfets). I thought KERS only would be an issue for the battery cells, if it's applied to a fully charged battery.

Return to “Xiaomi Scooters”