Walmart Special ES4 Advice!

ScootScooter

Re: Walmart Special ES4 Advice!

Postby ScootScooter Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:38 am

I also bought as ES4-800 for $199. I have had numerous issues with error codes. At first it wouldn't stay on. I've had error code 18, 19, 21, and 42. By reseating the battery about 5 times and reconnecting the cables i eventually got it to work. I went on a 2 mile ride without issue. I am going to test the heck out of this to make sure its not an issue. I did buy extended warranty but I already know what they will do if it breaks. They will refund the $199, not fix it or replace it. One question I have, can this scooter work on internal battery only? When the external battery is disconnected it won't turn on. But once connected and working the Segway Ninebot app says both batteries are normal and charged about the same.
Yes, it can, but you likely have to flash the dash. The ES4 is just the ES2 + external battery.
EdL

Postby EdL Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Received my Walmart Bird today. I'm also interested in flashing the firmware. I did find this page that may help free our caged bird ;)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252&p=1336

From my quick glance at the page, it looks like we just need a few item to flash the controller.
- Windows PC with a serial port --> Correction, Windows PC with a CP2102
- Access to the external battery port
- Software - Ninebot IAP
I ordered a CP2102 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085W8LT93) and it should arrive Thursday. I'll try this no soldering, method 2 from the instructions in the link quoted above. I have already removed the battery cage and the external battery to review the com port. Fingers crossed.
jackedandshredded

Postby jackedandshredded Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Received my Walmart Bird today. I'm also interested in flashing the firmware. I did find this page that may help free our caged bird ;)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252&p=1336

From my quick glance at the page, it looks like we just need a few item to flash the controller.
- Windows PC with a serial port --> Correction, Windows PC with a CP2102
- Access to the external battery port
- Software - Ninebot IAP
I ordered a CP2102 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085W8LT93) and it should arrive Thursday. I'll try this no soldering, method 2 from the instructions in the link quoted above. I have already removed the battery cage and the external battery to review the com port. Fingers crossed.
I think all we need is a new dashboard and an android phone. no need for stlink.
shadowaero

Postby shadowaero Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:56 pm

I also bought as ES4-800 for $199. I have had numerous issues with error codes. At first it wouldn't stay on. I've had error code 18, 19, 21, and 42. By reseating the battery about 5 times and reconnecting the cables i eventually got it to work. I went on a 2 mile ride without issue. I am going to test the heck out of this to make sure its not an issue. I did buy extended warranty but I already know what they will do if it breaks. They will refund the $199, not fix it or replace it. One question I have, can this scooter work on internal battery only? When the external battery is disconnected it won't turn on. But once connected and working the Segway Ninebot app says both batteries are normal and charged about the same.
Yes, it can, but you likely have to flash the dash. The ES4 is just the ES2 + external battery.
Scooterscoot, I left you a message. Basically its still showing error code 21 and sometimes 19. I don't hear of others with this issue. I'm guessing this is third party refurb and Segway will not warranty. I wish i could get it fixed without spending more money.
ScootScooter

Postby ScootScooter Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Scooterscoot, I left you a message. Basically its still showing error code 21 and sometimes 19. I don't hear of others with this issue. I'm guessing this is third party refurb and Segway will not warranty. I wish i could get it fixed without spending more money.

But you purchased the warranty? These codes all look like battery issues and not something worth trying to fix.
shadowaero

Postby shadowaero Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:21 pm

But you purchased the warranty? These codes all look like battery issues and not something worth trying to fix.
Yes, but will warranty cover this when its a refurb?
EdL

Postby EdL Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:46 pm

I bought 3 of these. 2 of them have oem green boards, 1 has a purple clone. I was able to flash the 2 boards via ST-Link successfully which unlocked bluetooth flashing capability and speed to 20mph among other things. I tried flashing the clone but bricked it and can't find the original firmware for it yet to reflash. I'll probably end up buying an oem.

You just need an $8 st-link v2 usb adapter from amazon and some basic soldering skills.
I opened up my dash and found that I have a purple one too. Guess i'm out of luck and will need to purchase a replacement dash.
BTW, the pin layout on the purple board looks different than the original, how did you find the solder point to connect to your ST-Link?
ScootScooter

Postby ScootScooter Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:54 pm

I bought 3 of these. 2 of them have oem green boards, 1 has a purple clone. I was able to flash the 2 boards via ST-Link successfully which unlocked bluetooth flashing capability and speed to 20mph among other things. I tried flashing the clone but bricked it and can't find the original firmware for it yet to reflash. I'll probably end up buying an oem.

You just need an $8 st-link v2 usb adapter from amazon and some basic soldering skills.
I opened up my dash and found that I have a purple one too. Guess i'm out of luck and will need to purchase a replacement dash.
BTW, the pin layout on the purple board looks different than the original, how did you find the solder point to connect to your ST-Link?
Look up BananaScience on YT, they have a video on it.
ScootScooter

Postby ScootScooter Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Yes, but will warranty cover this when its a refurb?
I'm referring to the 2-3 year warranty you had to pay extra for.
jackedandshredded

Postby jackedandshredded Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:27 pm

So i just got the dash and i installed it. it connects to the segway app all good. I want to flash it once i'm done with this meeting. i'm stuck in. This is what I ordered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TS ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”