Error 42 solved

themax

Error 42 solved

Postby themax Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:25 am

I solved error 42 in my es2 when adding an external battery. I'm leaving this here for future reference if someone has the same issue.

It seems that the connector does not totally fit whith the one in the scooter, so you have to push it anyhow.

I solved it inserting a couple of "hairs" of copper wire into each pin in the battery connector. This seems to create enough pressure to te BMS communitcate with the scooter and get rid of the error.

I hope this is useful for someone.
ProtoSkutR

Re: Error 42 solved // So You Think ;)

Postby ProtoSkutR Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:53 pm

I have tried a variation of this, as I did not have copper available.
With this solution, I am concerned for the long term.

I have thought of pounding out some copper into 'copperleaf' and wrapping a pin.
--> Have you noticed, on the ESC side, the pins have a LOOSE fitting, CRIMPED on copper X over sheath (need the correct term)
<< I believe it is these pin sheaths that are degrading over time, along with vibrations, creating microscopic gaps in electrical flow.

After enough vibration and shock, those hairs will likely 'shift' or move, potentially creating small arcs within the pin connector.

Furthermore, if you disassemble the ES4 external battery pack, down to the connector pins, you will see they are standard, and have a split line in them (meaning they can expand.

There is an important thing to note about the external battery pack and errors, probably detailed better on another post:
- There are two failures:
1) One where the two main power pins at the top of the connector, one of them loses connectivity
--> The result of this is typically a major power loss, loss of the extra torque, intermittent performance

2) Failure of just ONE of the BMS charge pins or data pins.
--> The result of this is similar, though often charging wont work, beeping occurs, etc.

It is very important to identify WHICH pins are having problems, because if you begin modifying all of them, then it becomes a bit more difficult to identify the specific issue. (I'm about 30K miles into riding es1/2/4/SJ2.5)

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”