Ninebot IAP guide - how to flash your scooter with a cable

F0xMaster

Re: Ninebot IAP guide - how to flash your scooter with a cable

Postby F0xMaster Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Trying to flash an es2 using method 2. My question is which files do I use to flash. I see the link to the files, but I don't know which ones I need.

"If everything was done correctly you should now see your scooter's firmware version on the right as shown on the screenshot below. You can now flash every component of your scooter and execute commands directly from your PC."

Is there an order which component gets flashed first, second, and third. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
You will need BLE and DRV files in the .bin.enc format. Any version will work
Zeek

Postby Zeek Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:14 am

The pic with the white background has the WRONG wiring (Ninebot's fault), u have to swap the RX and TX pins to get it to work. Also, clone dashboards are known for causing issues on BLE.
Thank you for your reply. My friend re-soldered the cables and flashed his scooter, but when we tried doing my ES4 (former rental with clone dashboard) we couldn't make anything work, connection was fine, but nothing would flash.
We eventually made it work by swapping the clone dash with a flashed OEM dash, flashing the DRV, swapping back and flashing BMS and BLE and finally CFW - everything works like a charm and I can flash any CFW through bluetooth.

Amazing software btw! I would like to request documentatuon on all of IAP's features, because there is a couple of functions that aren't explained, and I have not been able to find a doc anywhere.
@dreparn
I am in the same boat ES4 former rental.
Replaced to OEM dash and flashed it.
Would you mind explaining your above steps with a little more detail so I can get my scooter done please.

When you say " flashing the DRV, swapping back and flashing BMS and BLE and finally CFW - everything works like a charm and I can flash any CFW through bluetooth. "

Can you please make sure I got it right:
Also, would you mind providing the file names of the files you flashed please.

Step 1: Flash DVR via IAP Method 2 (External battery connector)
Step 2: "swapping back" What did you swap here?
Step 3: Flash BMS via IAP Method 2 (External battery connector)
Step 4: Flash BLE via IAP Method 2 (External battery connector)
Step 5 Flash CFW via IAP Method 2 (External battery connector)

Thank you in Advance!!
Zeek
EdL

Postby EdL Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks to this excellent guide, I was able to flash the DRV firmware using method 2 on my renewed Bird ES4 purchased off Walmart.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to flash the BLE onto the cloned purple dash. This was somewhat expected.

Just wondering how I can go about flashing the BMS on the external battery when I'm using the external battery port for flashing? Can I attach the external battery while tapping into the port with a thin gauge wire? Or is there an easier way to update the BMS of the external battery? Will method 3 work?
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks to this excellent guide, I was able to flash the DRV firmware using method 2 on my renewed Bird ES4 purchased off Walmart.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to flash the BLE onto the cloned purple dash. This was somewhat expected.

Just wondering how I can go about flashing the BMS on the external battery when I'm using the external battery port for flashing? Can I attach the external battery while tapping into the port with a thin gauge wire? Or is there an easier way to update the BMS of the external battery? Will method 3 work?
You can't plug in the battery and the PC at the same time because they will just block one another. If flashing via bluetooth doesn't work then you're kinda stuck
jakobi

Postby jakobi Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Does enybody know what shall be COM configuration:
Bit per seconds:
Data bits:
Party:
Stop bits:
Flow control:

I have followed all the steps and connected the UART battery connector to the IoT port, and the other end to USB, installed the drivers, everything. But when I start IAP and click "Connect", none of the information on the right is displayed, i.e. DRV/BMS/BLE/model (like in the screenshot in the OP), it all says "0.0.0". The button says "Connnected" in green, but only for a second and then still says "connected" but in grey.
I have swap the TxT with RxT but it does not help. I got also failure 42. when i change dashboard then is not failure, but still no connection with a info about the ver.
I did not change other connection then methode 2, that is my next step.
There is also notice about the red cable that suppose to be GND, but i have chacked that red is 36 V+ and GND is black, so i do not want damage RS port.
Be also aware, that the schematic is for port in ninebot, not the one from IoT module. the plug is mirror from the one given in schema.

Does enybody has also problem with connection via IoT port?
I got the ES4 from rental company, it is unlock, but still is limit to 20 km/t and disablet bluetooth therefor i want unlock it.
jakobi

Postby jakobi Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:23 am

Finally i got the connection, with the new USB stick to RS232, it looks that the old one does not working with the newest win10.
Then i have updated BLE to the ver. 1.3.9 and then not all working fine. It looks that the panel does not working with bluetooth. the icon working and the app see the scooter, but can not pair. In additional to the BLE i must update DRV to any of ver, f. ex. 1.4.7, and then all looks working fine.
The bluetooth can pair, and diode S working fine. I have also got speed limit to 25 km/t
It looks that the rental scooter has the own DRV configuration ver 9.X.X that is bitt different then commercial.
I hope that all will working fine noe.
At least the scooter communicate with bluetooth and all looks fiene.
SubnetMask

Postby SubnetMask Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:53 pm

Great How-to, worked perfectly for getting my ES4 off rental firmware and things working. But after I got everything working, I was going to make a flash cable for it using a CP2102 adapter instead of the FTDI-based one that I had, which worked perfectly, and a male connector to plug into the cable at the base of the stalk, so if I wanted to flash something, just plug that cable in, plug into USB and off I go. Just got the CP2102 adapter, and as soon as I connect it to the scooter, within a few seconds of connecting it, I start getting beeping and error 42, and Ninebot IAP can't see all of the devices - BMS2 wasn't visible and I believe DRV also wasn't. As soon as I disconnect it, everything returns to normal. Any thoughts on why the CP2102 is making the scooter go TILT but the FTDI isn't? Only thing I can think of is the scooter doesn't use UART, but RS232, as the CP2102 is a UART device, but the FTDI is a RS232, but that doesn't really make sense if the officially recommended/supported device was a CP2102 UART device. In that case, the FTDI RS232 shouldn't have worked at all.
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:37 am

Great How-to, worked perfectly for getting my ES4 off rental firmware and things working. But after I got everything working, I was going to make a flash cable for it using a CP2102 adapter instead of the FTDI-based one that I had, which worked perfectly, and a male connector to plug into the cable at the base of the stalk, so if I wanted to flash something, just plug that cable in, plug into USB and off I go. Just got the CP2102 adapter, and as soon as I connect it to the scooter, within a few seconds of connecting it, I start getting beeping and error 42, and Ninebot IAP can't see all of the devices - BMS2 wasn't visible and I believe DRV also wasn't. As soon as I disconnect it, everything returns to normal. Any thoughts on why the CP2102 is making the scooter go TILT but the FTDI isn't? Only thing I can think of is the scooter doesn't use UART, but RS232, as the CP2102 is a UART device, but the FTDI is a RS232, but that doesn't really make sense if the officially recommended/supported device was a CP2102 UART device. In that case, the FTDI RS232 shouldn't have worked at all.
The battery uses the same serial rail as the IoT port, that's why things like method 2 are possible. I'm surprised the RS232 didn't throw an error 🤔
SubnetMask

Postby SubnetMask Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 am

The battery uses the same serial rail as the IoT port, that's why things like method 2 are possible. I'm surprised the RS232 didn't throw an error 🤔
Yeah, I'm really confused on this one... if the serial on the scooter is UART, requiring the CP2102 to work, and that's what was recommended/supported by Segway, how the heck did the RS232 based FTDI adapter I have work 100% flawlessly, yet within seconds of connecting the CP2102 UART module to the data bus (not even doing anything.... just connecting it), the scooter looses its mind? The exact opposite SHOULD be true... Odd.

Related... What exactly is the connector in Method 1, which is the connector I referred to that is protruding from the base of the stalk? I ordered a 5 pin Julet extension cable off Amazon to make the adapter cable with, and what I got was 'small', but not QUITE small enough... The one off Amazon is about 1mm larger diameter than the one on the scooter.
Christree

Postby Christree Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:34 pm

So im pretty new to this hacking stuff done a few birds with aftermarket controls but not this kind i have purchased the cp2102 as well as the stlinkv2 my question is for the snsc 2.0 i see how to use tbe cp2102 on everything except the dash how do i flash that with cp2102 uart i see their is also another thread on using the stlink v2 but seems like lot more soldering for that method any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”