Ninebot IAP guide - how to flash your scooter with a cable

dreparn

Re: Ninebot IAP guide - how to flash your scooter with a cable

Postby dreparn Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Thank you for this guide and the application.

I have been trying to connect to my ES4 using method 2 (UART USB adapter) in order to flash the control board with stock firmware (and eventually CFW). It's an ES4 with a rental control board and a clone dash. The scooter is currently working fine, but is limited to 20 KPH and yada yada has all the other limitations that I would like to get rid of.

I have followed all the steps and connected the UART battery connector to the external battery port, and the other end to USB, installed the drivers, everything. But when I start IAP and click "Connect", none of the information on the right is displayed, i.e. DRV/BMS/BLE/model (like in the screenshot in the OP), it all says "0.0.0". The button says "Connnected" in green, but only for a second and then still says "connected" but in grey. When I switch to the BLE tab, the software is able to detect and connect to the dash, correctly detect the DRV (3.1.4 )and BMS (1.3.6) but not the BLE (btw, why?), but since the control board is still running rental firmware, I can't flash the dashboard this way.

My friend has the same problem using a OEM dash, so we have concluded that the problem must be that the wires are incorrectly soldered to the UART interface, right? If that is not the problem, then what is?
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am

My friend has the same problem using a OEM dash, so we have concluded that the problem must be that the wires are incorrectly soldered to the UART interface, right? If that is not the problem, then what is?
The pic with the white background has the WRONG wiring (Ninebot's fault), u have to swap the RX and TX pins to get it to work. Also, clone dashboards are known for causing issues on BLE.
dreparn

Postby dreparn Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

The pic with the white background has the WRONG wiring (Ninebot's fault), u have to swap the RX and TX pins to get it to work. Also, clone dashboards are known for causing issues on BLE.
Thank you for your reply. My friend re-soldered the cables and flashed his scooter, but when we tried doing my ES4 (former rental with clone dashboard) we couldn't make anything work, connection was fine, but nothing would flash.
We eventually made it work by swapping the clone dash with a flashed OEM dash, flashing the DRV, swapping back and flashing BMS and BLE and finally CFW - everything works like a charm and I can flash any CFW through bluetooth.

Amazing software btw! I would like to request documentatuon on all of IAP's features, because there is a couple of functions that aren't explained, and I have not been able to find a doc anywhere.
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 pm

I would like to request documentatuon on all of IAP's features, because there is a couple of functions that aren't explained, and I have not been able to find a doc anywhere.
You can always ask on the official ScooterHacking Discord server. https://scooterhack.in/discord
(#ninebot-iap channel)
jrrdoyle

Postby jrrdoyle Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:03 pm

Foxmaster, I tried method 4 for a spin Ninebot max that I obtained from the junkyard. I followed your exact pin out: pin1=5v, pin2=ground, pin6=rx, pin7=tx. The esc did not power up so I, did as you said, by plugging back in the bms port with pin1=5v pin disconnected. Nothing happened.

Could it be that the pin out or wiring diagram for the spin max is different from what you listed? Is your pin out diagram for a retail max?

On the spin scooter, the wiring is actually, pin1blue, pin2black, pin3red, pin4green, pin5purple, pin6yellow, pin7white.

So if I follow your pin out wiring, I am essentially connecting to pin1blue, pin2black, pin6yellow and pin7white.

Should I be connecting to pin2black, pin3red....which color wiring is for rx and tx?

I fried my USB connector trying different combinations. Please help. Thanks.
jrrdoyle

Postby jrrdoyle Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm

I cannot power on the controller using method 4. I also tried method 3 and could not get the usb to communicate. I have done this prior on another Max w/ success, however that Max was able to turn on before flashing via IAP. It was on and beeping w/ an error code prior, but since it was on, there was power delivered to the ESC. It seems that the scooter company was able to prevent conversions by bricking the ESC and preventing it from being turned on or flashed w/ IAP. Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jerry
scootersrus

Postby scootersrus Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Using USB to TIL HW-597 thru iap with iot cable connected and can not get connected light to light up and no data counts. tried thru battery terminal and controller terminal and no connection
F0xMaster

Postby F0xMaster Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Using USB to TIL HW-597 thru iap with iot cable connected and can not get connected light to light up and no data counts. tried thru battery terminal and controller terminal and no connection
HW-597 is not supported by IAP
Olivierftw

Postby Olivierftw Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Is it possible to flash the external battery of the ESx? I have an external battery with bad firmware(well i think it is) opened it up and bms seems fine, blue led flashing and outputting 40v on the xt30, but refuses to give any info or bms fw version
Hwstoner323

Postby Hwstoner323 Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:08 am

Trying to flash an es2 using method 2. My question is which files do I use to flash. I see the link to the files, but I don't know which ones I need.

"If everything was done correctly you should now see your scooter's firmware version on the right as shown on the screenshot below. You can now flash every component of your scooter and execute commands directly from your PC."

Is there an order which component gets flashed first, second, and third. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Return to “Ninebot ES and E-series”