BMS UART protocol?

michaelc

BMS UART protocol?

Postby michaelc Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 pm

HI guys,

Short Story: I'm looking for the commands & protocol to directly communicate with the battery BMS. I've searched the internet and tried a couple of things, but no luck yet. What bytes do I need to send to read/write the BMS registers.

Long story: I've gone through 2 Ninebots already. The first one burning out after a couple of weeks, only to wait for a repair so that Ninebot could send me a brand new one. I've had this one for a couple of months, but that motor controller burned out also. Since I'm an electronics student, I thought it would be a good project to actually start from scratch and design my own control board/interface using the existing battery. For that of course, I would like to read/write data using UART to the BMS.

Some things I think about doing: using a waterproof circular touchscreen io the led panel, using a nice display library. Display battery health, mA...; in detail. Maybe also integrating location services from Google... once you start using cortex A, possibilities are limitless. The most important: using high quality parts that don't burn out every x months!

If I don't figure out the BMS protocol, I will be forced to use my own battery cells and creating a custom BMS, which is possible; but these things cost money and I figured the TI ic that is used in the BMS is actually a great quality one. If I were to create my own cells though, I would place them in the bottom of the frame, trying to make the ES more stable.

anyone interested in helping?
thanks!! greetings from Belgium
drdionross

Re: BMS UART protocol?

Postby drdionross Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:38 am

I'm quite keen to learn this also.
Sure, you can use an arduino or usb to uart/ttl converter board to talk to the battery directly, I've gotten that far already, but all the program can read is BMS version, I want to be able to read more like yourself
F0xMaster

Re: BMS UART protocol?

Postby F0xMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 pm

If you can connect to the battery using a serial to USB adapter and want to see more details, you can use IAP versions 2.2.1 and higher coz they have this functionality (battery tab).

Return to “Ninebot ES”