[Full Tutorial] How to convert a Ninebot Max (G30) for Personal Use (ESC/BMS/BLE Flashing, Rewiring, and CFW)

meister_sd

Re: [Full Tutorial] How to convert a Ninebot Max (G30) for Personal Use (ESC/BMS/BLE Flashing, Rewiring, and CFW)

Postby meister_sd Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 pm

First a couldn find the file for the esc even thou i loaded all of the things instructeded
Don't need the HEX file. Get the full .bin dump here:
https://files.scooterhacking.org/max/fw/drv/

Use that file according to the tutorial.

Then for the battery:
https://files.scooterhacking.org/max/fw/bms/

The soldering sometimes doesn't get a good connection, especially if it's not cleaned properly. If you can read the chip, you can program. Go slow, read the instructions - then read them again. It's the little things missed...... :)
nearestfar

Re: [Full Tutorial] How to convert a Ninebot Max (G30) for Personal Use (ESC/BMS/BLE Flashing, Rewiring, and CFW)

Postby nearestfar Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 am

Great information! I was wondering.. if you rather not do all the extra soldering and whatnot, what would need to be replaced internally to get this scooter to be used as a personal scooter?
Plopez

Postby Plopez Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm

Hello I am having a problem with the software for the esc I am getting these messages thanks for the help
MIKEtheBIKE

Postby MIKEtheBIKE Tue May 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Ok. I’ve got everything done up until the ESC flash/solder.

A couple questions:

1. How did you remove the ESC board from the housing? I’m not thinking I can solder to those tiny pads with it in the case.

2. Should the battery be blinking red or blue?
I’m getting red and sometimes a combo of red and blue at the same time.

3. Should everything power up and work to some extent at this point? My dash turns on briefly but then goes dark and just beeps when the charge cord is connected. My battery is very very low...maybe this has something to do with it?

Thanks a million for your hard work and research!
smeeb

Postby smeeb Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 pm

hey Mike I was able to solder the esc still in its housing and this was my first soldering project, and with a super cheap iron. I suggest just going slowly.

Also I had the same problem issue with my dash turning off until I flashed all 3 components.

I am all up and running but except my speed is capped at 22kms despite having flashed the custom fw. What is the fix to getting full power from a US lyft conversion?
smeeb

Postby smeeb Thu May 28, 2020 5:43 pm

I think my speed problem might be related to the other last issue I'm having.

I can't get the headlight to turn off (even when dash indicates that it is off). On my es2 whenever I turned the headlight on the speed reduced. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Last edited by smeeb on Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
smeeb

Postby smeeb Thu May 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Update!

After following this tutorial step by step on my US Lyft I got everything working EXCEPT my speed was capped at 14mph. However, after flashing a custom firmware with the current based throttle instead of speed based it now goes the full 19.

HUGE shoutout to Santa a god among men.
Mast3rshak3

Postby Mast3rshak3 Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:59 pm

I tried this on my SPIN g30 max scooter and It didn't work. I have flashed the esc, battery and dashboard with no luck. On a side note if anyone wanted to send me a lyft esc I will solder and flash you battery, dash and esc for you. I
cheedo

Postby cheedo Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Credit to @Heimdal for helping me figure this out!

FYI for everyone using these instructions. if you have had issues where your ESC with rental FW will not connect to STLink, follow these directions below:

Step 1: orient the ESC so that the connectors are on the bottom left corner and giant capacitor is on the top right. remove potting on the lower side of the processor and the components near that area (see photo for reference). the capacitor circled in red is the only important one to be reachable.

https://imgur.com/a/UU4IT9d

Step 2: solder GND, CLK, SWIO, and power (5V on white connector or 3.3V on cap near CPU, whichever you prefer) and plug ESC into STLink into PC as if you are going to flash.

Step 3: use metal tweezers or anything metal to short the two ends of the circled capacitor together, this will force the system into reset as long as that's held.

Step 4: while shorting the capacitor, click the connect button in ST Utility (the plug with the lightning bolt), if a read protection error shows up press Cntrl + B and disable readout protection as usual, then press the connect button again.

Step 5: nothing will apparently happen in ST Utility after pressing the connect button. remove your tweezers from the capacitor to allow the processor to come out of reset, ST Utility will then connect to the system and you can flash and do everything as usual!

enjoy! this also works with ESx, i will post instructions and a photo there later.
Mast3rshak3

Postby Mast3rshak3 Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Can't seem to get my ESC to work. It was a US Spin esc. Plug it in and i get nothing. As you can see I have flashed both ESC and Dash and still can't get the scooter to turn on....

Return to “Ninebot Max”