Lyft Ninebot G30 Pogress

deecon787

Lyft Ninebot G30 Pogress

Postby deecon787 Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 pm

I recently got a chance to take a closer look at Lyft scooter I was able to purchase at a police auction!

I would just swap the internal controller with my FreeFlight ARC2000 motor controller, however, I figured I'd look into writing firmware like I've done with a handful of Ninebot ES2's and ES4's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kba7yK9NV6c

Unfortunately, the ESC is potted into a metal enclosure with what seems to be clear silicone. Once I removed the screws holding the MOSFET heat-spreader to the enclosure I was able to get some isopropyl alcohol into the underside of the ESC circuit board. After a few minutes the adhesive on the underside of the board seemed to release and with a bit of prying and cutting silicone on the edges the ESC board came out.

Now I need to start looking for connection points for an ST-Link debugger / flasher.

Curious if anyone else has worked on finding these test points?
usernameunavailable

Re: Lyft Ninebot G30 Pogress

Postby usernameunavailable Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Lyft MAX's are odd all around:
-They use a super weird ESC to BLE wiring scheme (compared to SPIN and Retail MAX's) -- due to the handlebar mounted brain.
-Their ESC's seem to have custom firmware, not anything like SPIN.

I used a SPIN ESC to BLE cable on a Lyft ESC, the BLE comes on as-expected with rental firmware; this also powered up the ESC (green/red lights).

I'm assuming that we'll need the following items in order to fully convert a Lyft MAX:
-Retail BLE + BLE Cover.
-Retail ESC to BLE cable.
-CFW or OFW.

Lastly, I believe the SWD interface is the 3 connectors on the left side, however, my understanding is that these ESC are RDP Level 2.... meaning that the SWD interface is completely disabled and inaccessible.
deecon787

Postby deecon787 Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Interesting, what has your experience with the SPIN scooters been?

Do they have a more generalized firmware / can they be used interchangeably with components from non-rideshare models?
penalties

Postby penalties Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Forgive me, I'm new to this scene.

I've got one of these (non-fucntional, no lights, seems to be totally dead), I wanted to try and build a dashboard, custom software, and display for it using RPI 4 and probably an arduino. I disconnected the lyft head unit and upon disassembly I noticed the battery was flashing red; nothing was wrong with the battery (no loose connections or damaged cells), so I attempted to charge it.

With the head unit disconnected, and while connected to AC power, I disconnected the signal cables for the BMS to the ESC, and reconnected them. The ESC then powered on (red LED), and the green led began to flash. When it was flashing the back wheel also seemed to have a brake applied. This only lasted for a minute or so before turning off.

From what I understand, I should be able to send commands to the ESC when it's flashing green, right?

Is it worth trying to use this ESC? Or should I just find a good 3rd party controller? I like the idea of not wasting, and being able to make these work would be great, especially if I can make replacement dashboard with inexpensive components.
deecon787

Postby deecon787 Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 pm

No worries!

Always glad when new people join this underground community ;)

The blinking red light means the battery itself is compromised in some way. Try un-plugging the battery from the speed control unit (circuit board with XT-60 connector) and see if the light starts blinking blue.

Blinking blue means the battery is fine, red usually means the battery management system (small microcontroller and board inside the battery that handles balance charging and health monitoring) has detected a short circuit, over temperature or some other physical failure of the battery.
sc00tr

Postby sc00tr Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Has anyone made any progress on the BMS issue where it shuts down fairly quickly after booting up?
scootsc00t

Postby scootsc00t Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:18 pm

I got mine in semi-working condition, it powers on with no errors and after I hit the throttle, power cuts off after a few seconds. Anyone seen a post about this?

So far what I've done is this:
-New dashboard, control board, and main control cable from China
-Used ES4 dashboard to change the S/N with firmware 777 then back to 1.2.6
l064n

Postby l064n Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 pm

I got mine in semi-working condition, it powers on with no errors and after I hit the throttle, power cuts off after a few seconds. Anyone seen a post about this?

So far what I've done is this:
-New dashboard, control board, and main control cable from China
-Used ES4 dashboard to change the S/N with firmware 777 then back to 1.2.6
You have to flash the BMS of the Lyft battery or else it will auto shutdown after a few seconds of applying power
kiki626

Postby kiki626 Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 am

^what he said. Flash the BMS with the BMS.hex file from scooterhacking.org using the STVP program. You’ll want to write to the PROGRAM memory only (not the data memory).

Once you STLink flash the bms things will work like it’s a retail unit.
Unicycle Santa

Postby Unicycle Santa Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 pm

Any luck figuring out how to flash the Lyft controller? I have mine connected with an ST link to the SWCLK, SWDIO, and GND pins with power coming from the scooter's battery. A small red LED is faintly illuminated on the controller but I am unable to connect to target.

Return to “Ninebot Max”